Benjamin Smith, built this house in 1873, the architectural style of the home is considered to be Folk Victorian/Vernacular. It features painted brick and a one-story cross gable with a steeply pitched roof and double windows with stone sills including segmental arches with one-over-one glazing. Charles Welch purchased the house in 1874 and lived there until 1889. Welch, an influential early citizen, was a territorial legislator and donated land for the original School of Mines east of Golden. He also sold to Adolph Coors the land where the brewery now stands. In 2002 the City of Golden Historic Preservation Board approved a Certificate of Appropriateness which restored the appearance of the open porch to its original condition. Source information provided by the Golden Planning Department, the Golden Historic Preservation Board and Cathleen Norman’s book Golden Old and New - A Walking Tour Guide.