The Cape Northumberland Lighthouse near Port MacDonnell was built to replace the earlier lighthouse that was under threat of being undermined by the erosion of the the cliffs on which it stood. The original MacDonnell Lighthouse was built in 1858 and commenced operation in early 1859. The new light was white with Chance Bros first-order light lantern. It originally flashed every 60 seconds. In 1906, the multiple wick oil burners were replaced by an incandescent vapourised kerosene burners which increased the intensity. In March 1936, the power was converted from kerosene to electricity. In December 1972, the lights electric operation was converted to tungsten halogen. In July 1977, the light was converted to automatic. In January 1990, lighthouse was demanned. The site of the old MacDonnell Lighthouse is easily accessed by road and is 3 kilometres to the west of Port MacDonnell. The Cape Northumberland Lighthouse is also off the same road, but access is not readily available, as the local residents living in the lighthouse keepers cottages have marked the entrance to the grounds as private property. There are no tours of the lighthouse.