The first station in the area was established in 1929 on the nearby Little Fitzroy Island, with the purpose of warning ships in the Grafton Passage of the reefs around the island. The station on Fitzroy Island was established in 1943, during World War II to supplement the Little Fitzroy Island Light. In 1973 the current Fitzroy Island Light was constructed, the fifth of a group of seven concrete towers erected between 1964 and 1979 in Queensland (Cape Capricorn Light, New Caloundra Light, Point Danger Light, New Burnett Heads Light, itself, Point Cartwright Light and Archer Point Light). At that same time the Little Fitzroy Island Light was deactivated. The light source was an array of sealed beam lamps. In 1992 the lighthouse was deactivated, and Little Fitzroy Island Light was made active again. The lighthouse on Fitzroy Island now serves as a visitor centre for the Fitzroy Island National Park. The lighthouse is octagonal in form, topped with a lantern and a gallery. It is made of concrete and covered with tiles, much like Point Cartwright Light and New Burnett Heads Light. The tower rises to 17m.