Built in a simple style, the building reflects elements of the Little Brazilian or Modern Brazilian style and has a light green and white terrazzo cover and diamond-shaped windows adorning the two entrances. Initially known as the Third Mathematics and Sciences building, it was designed by architects A L Meiring and P R Nel, and was inaugurated on 3 May 1955. It was designed to form part of the inner court of the university. An identical building was planned to the south of the Engineering Tower to ensure the building would not clash with any future buildings. In the 1980s various departments were relocated resulting in the natural convergence of all the earth sciences departments into the same building, after which the name was changed to the Mineral Sciences building.
Sketchup Model drawn by: Mnr C P Swart