Mannheim Central Station is the second largest node in southwestern Germany with 658 trains, whereof 238 long-distance trains, and approximately 100,000 passengers a day.
The entrance building was built between 1871 and 1876. In 1927, after long discussions about an extension, the front facade was completely removed and shifted 10 m farther to the front. Thereby the facade was rebuilt in a simplified form. Due to the strong damage of World War II and the subsequent reconstruction, the facade was simplified again, without decorative elements. In 1995, a garage was added under the forecourt and from 1999 to 2001 an extensive renovation and remodeling took place. The link between tradition and modernity is called a success.