In 1365 the city purchased from Gouda the Marketfield of Mr Van der Goude to build a town hall. Yet it would take until 1448 before construction began. The city historian Ignatius Walvis thinks it was the poor financial position of the city that caused the continuing delay.
One of the architects was Jan Keldermans. The building was erected from Belgian limestone. In 1497 the city refurbished the Town Hall on the occasion of the visit of Philip the Fair in the city. In 1517/1518 the building was renovated. Until 1603 the hall was surrounded by the water and was accessible through a drawbridge.
In the period 1692 - 1697 there was again a major renovation. In the same period, the current scaffold at the back of the town house was added. Before that there was already a scaffold at the town hall, which first became known in 1525. In the period (1946 - 1952) was substantially renovated the building again. The last restoration took place in 1996.