Originally a two- story brick building with classical detailing, this theatre opened in 1914 as The Hippodrome. The Theatre was managed by a group of Waco businessmen, headed by T. P. Finnegan, and was used for silent movies, traveling vaudeville shows, and a variety of other civic events. After a minor fire in 1928, the structure was enlarged and remodeled in the present Mediterranean Revival style. It reopened the following year as the Waco Theatre and the facility remained in use, undergoing three additional renovations in 1936, 1961, and 1971. In the late ‘70’s, as an increasing number of customers turned to newer movie theaters in suburban areas, the theater closed. The Hippodrome remained unused until 1980, when the Junior League of Waco took on the project of restoring the Waco Theater in response to the need for a performing arts center. Between 1981 and 1986, community volunteers, the Junior League of Waco, and the Cooper Foundation contributed $2.4 million dollars and countless hours of dedication to undertake the restoration. On Feb. 28, 1987, the Waco Hippodrome Theater reopened. With its ornate domed ceiling, gold leaf trim and proscenium arch, the Waco Hippodrome Theatre is an architectural treasure. The theater has received designation as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. As of 2010 the Waco Hippodrome has been closed to the public due to financial difficulties.