Part of the North Family Shaker Village in Mt Lebanon, NY, this structure was erected c.1849 and originally served as a woodhouse and storage building. The North Family Shakers converted this structure into a forge in 1864. A drive shaft was installed connecting the waterwheel of the Brethren’s Workshop to a trip hammer inside this building.
This model is best viewed when setting the Historical Imagery layer to 2005.
National Park Service documentation for this structure is archived at the Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hh:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28NY0541%29%29/