Celebrating 100 years, the Regional Arts Center began life as the first Federal District Courthouse in Texarkana. Construction was started in 1909 but not completed until 1911 since it was in the middle of the "bawdy" district. Workers would do a morning shift, but not return! In 1931, the District Court moved to Sherman. The facility was then donated to Bowie County and became the Bowie County Courthouse in 1933. Following their move to a new courthouse in New Boston, TX, TRAHC has had a lease/purchase agreement with the county since May 30, 1985.Following a capital campaign, renovations on the building were completed at a cost of $1.6 million resulting in the only museum-quality, high security exhibit space between Dallas and Little Rock. Many of the original features were kept including marble floors, vaulted halls; and, although completely re-worked, one of the few brass/copper cage elevators left in the country. The former courtroom was transformed into an elegant rental hall with decorative painting by the same artisans who worked on the Perot Theatre.