The castle was founded in the 12th century by Renaudin de Bussy. It was rebuilt in the 14th century, the Renaissance galleries were added in 1520. It was altered during the reigns of Henry II (1547-1559) and Louis XIII (1610-1643). Rabutin Roger, Count of Bussy (1618-1693), fell into disgrace for allegedly taking part in an orgy in the castle of Roissy, near Paris, during the Holy Week. Bussy was ordered by Louis XIV to retire to his estates, where he spent time composing his History of Gaul love. This tale of courtly love different scandal, and he was sent to the Bastille prison April 17, 1665, where he remained for over a year. Bussy has only obtained his release on condition he retired once more to Bussy-Rabutin, where he lived in exile from the court for seventeen years. Although he briefly returned to the court in 1680, he soon returned to Bussy-Rabutin, where he died in 1693. During his exile, he has amassed a collection of portraits. The restoration work was undertaken in the 19th century by the Earl of Sarcus, and the property was listed as a historic monument in 1862. It was purchased by the French state in 1929 and is currently managed by the Centre des monuments nationaux. Another restoration was carried out in the 1970s.