There has been a church on this site since the time of the Norman Conquest, and the building has seen many changes in its long history. The oldest parts of the building are the slender pillars holding up the roof dating from the 12th Century. The building has also seen a number of structural changes including the foreshortening of the building when the East wall was rebuilt in 1821. This work was done to widen the street and resulted in the half arch that can be seen near the main entrance to the Centre. The tower was lowered in the 1960's and the Centre still houses a full set of bells which are rung frequently.