The 13,500-sf Wash House, built circa 1854, had multiple uses. Originally
used for storing firewood on the first floor with workshops for the
Sisters' on the second, the basement and first floor of the south end
were converted to the North Family's laundry in 1879. In addition, the
building was used for drying fruits and vegetables, seed packaging, and
as a schoolroom. The overall historic integrity of the building is high,
since much of the original fabric remains intact. While the interior is in
fair condition, the exterior and structure are in poor condition. The
building has been used recently for exhibitions but has now been
closed to the public pending foundation repair and stabilization.
This model is best viewed when setting the Historical Imagery layer to 2005.
National Park Service documentation for this structure is archived at the Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hh:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28NY0539%29%29/