The steel suspension bridge spanning the Delaware river was constructed between 1953-1957. It is designed by master builder Othmar Ammann and Herb Rothman. The main span is 609 meters long and 45 meters over the river surface. The deck is held up by two suspension cables that consist of 18,666 individual wires, each. The deck has three road lanes to each direction and a seventh one that can be converted to either direction depending on demand. The total steelwork weighs some 57,674 tons and 36,500 tons of it is suspended from the cables.