This marker resides on the grounds of the Fort Smith National Historic Site adjacent to the Old Commissary. The text on the plaque reads: "Old Commissary - This building, on the N.W. bastion of the wall, was the commissary of the fort. Built in 1839, used until 1871, when the fort was abandoned as a military post. From 1861-65 it served as a hospital, guardhouse and refuge. Now a museum. Erected as a public service by the Noon Civics Club. 1936"