Since its inception in 1929, the Department of Architecture and Building Sciences moved from one building to another until 1960 when it found a permanent home in this building designed by its own staff members. Expansion of the building in 1973 meant that the department could increase its student numbers. The building is modern in character with elements of Neo-Brutalism. Large windows on the southern side allow for natural light in the studios.
Sketchup model drawn by: Mej C Maritz