Entomologists at Iowa State University have engaged in teaching, research, and extension for more than a century. In 1880, Professor Herbert Osborn taught the first entomology course in the nation, beginning a tradition of excellence in basic and applied entomology. The Department of Entomology faculty work to provide an excellent education, develop innovative research programs and supply a creative, highly visible problem-solving extension program. The department is part of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Iowa State. The collection of entomology literature in the Parks Library, is the third largest in the country, after Harvard University and the University of California, Berkeley. The Insectary Building provides main offices of entomology, extension and research personnel, and additional laboratories. A research and teaching state-of-the-art greenhouse has recently replaced the greenhouse facility next to the Insectary. Teaching facilities, research laboratories and the Iowa State Insect Collection are located in the Science II building.