The north side of Lincoln Avenue between 9th and 10th Streets has two historic buildings. The Hugus Building at 912 Lincoln Avenue was built in 1890 and was a general store owned by J. W. Hugus & Co., one of the nation's first chain stores. The Lorenz Building at 928 Lincoln Avenue was built in 1893 as a general store but later used as the first court house in Steamboat Springs when the county seat moved to Steamboat in 1912. The courtroom was on the second floor, while the clerk, treasurer, and jail were on the first floor. When the courthouse moved to a new building in 1923, this building became a dance hall called the Social Benefit Association. Don Lorenz bought the property in 1958.