Completed in 1918 by the Canadian Bridge Company, this Truss-type bridge continues to be used to this day.
Originally intended only for rail traffic it was modified to carry road traffic which lasted until a separate road bridge was built in 1968. It is still in use as a railway bridge, being a vital link in a line running to Hay River on the south shore of Great Slave Lake in the Northwest Territories.
The structure from east to west consists of 9 spans; 1 deck plate girder, 3 deck trusses, 1 through truss (for navigation clearance when built), 3 deck trusses and 1 deck plate girder.
The Central Canada Railway (CCR) was incorporated by the Alberta Legislature in 1913.1 It had authority to build a railway from a point in Townships 74 or 75, ranges 18 or 19, West of the 5th Meridian in the vicinity of Aggie or Kenzie to Peace River Landing. From Peace River Landing the railway could proceed westerly to Townships 81, Range 4, West of the 6th Meridian, which is the Waterhold district directly north of Dunvegan. The charter also provided for a branch from Peace River Landing northerly to Township 94, Range 22, West of the 5th Meridian on the Battle River. Battle River is now known as the NotiKewan River but the agricultural district retained the Battle River name.
It has a total length of 529.1 m (approx. 1736 feet).