Latrobe Hall, originally known as the Civil Engineering Building, was designed by Joseph Evans Sperry. Ground was broken in October 1915, and the building was occupied in the fall of 1916. It was renamed in 1931 to acknowledge the financial support of the state of Maryland. Benjamin Henry Latrobe, Jr., was a Maryland native and chief engineer of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at the end of the 19th century. The building was completely remodeled with a 10,000 square foot addition in 1984-85, and rededicated on September 9, 1985.
Today, in addition to the Department of Civil Engineering, Latrobe Hall houses the Department of Mechanical Engineering.