Vladimirskaya (Vladimir's) tower is located in the northeastern part of the Novgorod Detinets (Kremlin), on the banks of the River Volkhov. The name of the tower was derived from the gate-church of Vladimir, built in 1311 by the Archbishop of Novgorod - David. In 1461 the Archbishop of Novgorod - Jonah the church was completely rebuilt. In the XVI century the image of St. Nicholas (fresco survives to this day) was painted on the external facade of the tower hence the other name for the tower - the Tower of St. Nicholas. At the end of the XVIII century the tower was repaired while the Vladimir church was demolished.