The Throgs Neck Bridge was designed by master bridge builder Othmar Ammann and was constructed between 1957 and 1961. It carries Interstate 295 over the East River and connects the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx with the Bayside section of Queens. The bridge's main span is 549 meters long and the both side spans are 169 meters long. The whole length of the bridge including the curved approaches is just over four kilometers. The deck is 28 meters wide and carries six road lanes. It is suspended from two 58 centimeter thick cables that consist of 10,952 individual wires each. The suspension cables are held up by two 110 meter tall steel towers and are anchored from both ends to huge concrete blocks.