Dvortsovaya (Palace) Tower is a quadrangular tower in the southern part of the Novgorod Detinets (Kremlin). The modern name of the tower was introduced by L. Gusev in 1913. According to modern scholars the name is not historically justified, as the Palace Square was in front of the Spasskaya Gate. The tower was built in the period 1484-1499. when the citadel was reconstructed and upgraded. Excavations under the supervision of M. H. Aleshkovskii in 1956, revealed that the tower is built on the foundations of an earlier structure.