The evangelist church St. Michael dates recieved its lustration back on February 10th of 1156. By its shere size it dominates the historical skyline of Schwäbisch Hall. The archangel St. Michael greets religious and guests alike from the center column of the western tower, whose four lower floors date to the church's roots. Modifications of the 15th century created today's gothic hall church. Around one hundred years later the tower recieved its octagonal upper two floors and the cupola.
Remarkable for this church are the many funerary monuments on the inner and outer walls as well as sculptured calvary scenes. In the east, well preserved below a glass floor behind the altar, one can see the just recently rediscovered ossuary with hundreds of sceletons.
The impressive stairway in front of the church ist place of the annual theater season.
[Source: www.schwaebischhall.de and others]
Please note that due to the complex terrain the church's surrounding basement has been simplified.