Bizanti Palace is part of a block of buildings situated between Weapons and Flour Squares. Almost all the buildings in the block were owned by the Bizanti family.
The noble family Bizanti was first mentioned in historical sources in the 11th century. Members of the family became known as outstanding seamen, writers, professors, clergymen, etc. Nikola Bizanti contributed greatly to the renovation and enlargement of the palace after the earthquake of 1667. At that time, he held the position of judge and was one of the most influential citizens of Kotor. After the old Duke’s Palace, situated on St. Tryphon’s Square, had been destroyed in the earthquake of 1667, Bizanti Palace served temporarily as the Duke’s residence. Because of that, in 1691 a monument to the Venetian duke Pietro Doudo was erected in the street between the palace and the church of St. Nicholas of Seamen. The monument has not been preserved.
The Bizanti Palace complex consists of an older palace, probably built in the early 17th century, an annex added to it by Nikola Bizanti in 1674 after the great earthquake, an inner courtyard with staircase, a balustraded terrace finished by 1690, and a three-storey building constructed at the end of the 19th century partly at the site of the church of St. Nicholas of Seamen.