The Light is a leisure and retail centre in central Leeds, England. It is located along The Headrow. The building was constructed in 1930–31 as Permanent House, the headquarters of the Leeds Permanent Building Society; the society moved to new premises in at Lovell Park in the 1990s. The legacy of the building's original use is still evident in the architecture, and the Browns restaurant at The Light uses the former banking hall.
Following a period in the 1990s when Permanent House was used as offices for Leeds City Council, the site was redeveloped, and this involved a demolition that involved the 61-metres-tall Leeds Permanent tower and other annexes which were constructed in the 1960s.
The Light opened in 2001 and it has a retail area of 32,515 square metres and targets a high spender customer base. It contains Leeds' only city-centre cinema, a 13-screen multiplex cinema operated by Vue (formerly Ster Century). Also within The Light there are a number of restaurants such as Nandos and Cafe Rouge, designer shops including Benetton and Ark, an Esporta health club, a Radisson Blu 4-star hotel and an NHS drop in centre. The Light also has a multi-storey car park. The Light has also hosted a number of special events, such as "City Beach","Meet the stylist" its annual "Night of Indulgence" in December. (Source: Wikipedia)