Notes Paraphrased from http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onhastin/Places/madoc78.htm
The old Presbyterian church in the village of Madoc was destroyed by fire in 1873. And the congregation, which was formed in 1853, have erected, at an expense of about $20,000, an imposing new structure of stone, which may be seen for miles in any direction from the village.
Its dimensions are 86 feet long, 44 feet, wide and 58 feet from the basement to the ridge, the sire is 118 feet high from the ground, its seating capacity, with gallery, 600, and when finished inside it became be one of the finest places of worship to be found in the Province.
The original pastor, the Rev. Mr. Wishart, who settled in 1857, and is a native of Culross, graduated at St. Andrew’s and Glasgow Universities, and studied theology in the F.C. Divinty Hall, Edinburgh, Scotland. After preaching the gospel for two years in the capacity of assistant at Kincardine and Duncan Temple, he was sent out to Canada by the Colonial Committee of the Free Church, and was settled in Madoc, then a small hamlet on Deer creek. Perhaps the prosperity of the thriving village of Madoc is more due to Dr. Wishart’s energy than any other individual.
His private residence was the first stone building in Madoc.
The erection of St. Peter’s Madoc, is chiefly due to his exertions, and remains a lasting monument to his memory.