The Nuremberg "Wolffian" Town Hall was built from 1616 to 1622 under the leadership of the city architect, Jacob Wolff in the style of the Renaissance.
On the south side closes a Gothic hall building, which is the oldest part of the cityhall. It was built from 1332 to 1340. The historic hall on the upper floor was remodeled 1520/21 and painted with murals by Albrecht Dürer.
During the 2nd 1944/45 World War the building was burned down to the outer walls. Also the murals were destroyed. 1956-62 the city hall was rebuilt.
In the basement of city hall are located the Lochgefängnisse which are considered as tourist attraction. Those are old dungeon's from the middle-ages.
Inside there are also to visit replicas of the "Reichskleinodien". (The insignia of the German empire: imperial crown, scepter and orb.) From 1424 to 1796, the originals were kept in Nuremberg before they were brought to Vienna in order to protect them against Napoleon.