Originally built in 1905 by John Guthrie Brown, a Tennessee native who moved here in 1886 at the age of 26 and became a partner in a General Merchandise and Indian Trade Store until 1890 when he served one term as US Senate 1892-1893. Brown had considerable amount to do with the State Fair getting started in Blackfoot. In November of 1904 Mr. Brown made a trip back east where he met and married May Johnson Bible, in Cleveland. Upon return they stopped at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis and it is told this is where they saw the plans for their future home.
On January 4, 1905 they bought the deed for $1000 and architects and builders were put to work. The Browns were from Tennessee so a bit of the southern elegance was added; four white pillars supported the balcony above. They lived in the house until 1924 when Mr. Brown died and his wife moved back to Tennessee and sold the house to the American Legion.
It is presently under the care of the local Historical Society and is being used as the Bingham County Historical Museum and is still one of the most beautiful and elegant buildings in town.