The Maria-Theresien-Platz of Vienna is a large square (Platz) joining the Ringstraße (Vienna's giant, round, central street) with the Museumsquartier, a museum of modern arts located in the former Imperial Stables. Facing each other from the sides of the square are two identical buildings, the Naturhistoriches Museum - Natural History Museum, and the Kunsthistoriches Museum - the Art History Museum. These two buildings are identical, save for the statuary on their façades. The Naturhistorisches' façade has statues depicting personifications of the various continents known to Austrian science at the time - Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, while the Kunsthistoriches façade features famous European artists - such as the Dutch Bruegel, among others.
The two museums and the square adjoining them were built in 1819, and in the centre of the square is a large statue depicting Empress Marie-Theresa of Austro-Hungaria, namesake of the square. The square and the two museums of 1819 are worthwhile and enjoyable attractions for tourists - the Museumsquartier in the former Imperial Stables shows up to date contemporary works that are sometimes controversial, and the older museums are much more enjoyable and culturally enriching if you are hard on time