Slough Heat and Power is a multi megawatt power station based on Slough Trading Estate that utilises
biomass fuel in the form of woodchips to generate electricity which is distributed to the National Grid and
heat which is utilised on the Trading Estate via a steam and hot water distribution network. The power
station has been in existence since the 1920’s and operated on coal until 2000. The power station was using coal and gas as its main sources of fuel in the two fluidised bed boilers that form one part of the three generating stations on site until 2001/02 when the power station began experimenting with the use of biomass. When the Renewables Obligation Order came in to force in April 2002 the power station completed the conversion to biomass fuel. The fluidised bed boilers enable the power station to burn any solid fuel and requires no further processing of wood except chipping.