The Old Vanderburgh County Courthouse, often simply called the "Old Courthouse," was once the center of Vanderburgh County government. Construction started in the spring of 1888, was completed in November 1890, and was ready for occupancy by county government in early 1891. It sits in the heart of downtown Evansville. The building was designed by architect Henry W. Wolters of Louisville, Kentucky and constructed by the Charles Pearce & Company of Indianapolis. The 19th century German Beaux-Arts architectural masterpiece cost $379,450 to build (which converts to nearly $100 million today on an inflation calculator). The Old Courthouse occupies an entire city block, bounded by Court, Fourth, Vine and Fifth Streets, with each side being encrusted with magnificent sculpture and stone carvings in Indiana limestone. The fourteen main statues of human figures are the work of Franz Engelsmann, who studied under the great German masters before setting up his studio in Chicago. In addition, carvings of vegetables, fruits, and flowers indigenous to the area adorn the capitals of the forty-eight pairs of pilasters around the entire building.