The tender for the development of the Largo in the centre of Sofia was put out in 1952-53. The contract was awarded to a team led by Professor Tatarov and Chief Architect Ivan Danchov. The construction works took two years, 1954-1956. The building is executed in the Russian eclectics style, faced with rhyolite quarried in northwestern Bulgaria and limestone from around Rousse on the Danube. The building has seven floors. The Administration of the President occupies the ground floor, the first, second and third levels. The others are used by the Ministry of Education and Science, the Ministry of Justice and other organizations.A new official entrance was added to the building in 1999 for the guests of the President. It consists of a glazed walled lobby decorated with archaeological monuments and affording a view to the rotunda (the 4th century Church of St. George) in the inner yard.