The "Cross Barracks" (due to its cross-like plan) building was built in 1801 on the place where once stood the gardens of the old Ottoman pasha palace. It was used for the konak (barracks) of the janissaries corps as well as the headquarters of the Aga (military comander) of the janissaries. Covered wooden bridge connected the building with the adjacent arms workshop. After the Liberation of Bulgaria, it served as a court and barracks of the Bulgarian army. Today the barracks is a massive two-storey museum building in the form of equal-armed cross with total area of 1260 square meters.