The Beurs, built in the ‘Amsterdam School’ style is nowadays considered as one of the first buildings to mark the beginning of modern architecture in The Netherlands. The monumental building was built in 1898-1903 by the City of Amsterdam, designed by the architect H.P. Berlage. The building stands on a drained part of the Amstel river, where in former days trade ships were moored. The different heights of the towers and facades gives the Beurs a varied and living silhouette. From inside and outside great emphasis has been placed on the ‘honest’ construction material and method of construction; natural stone with carvings here and there. Other artists were also involved with the building; there are sculptures by L. Zijl and J. Mendes da Costa, wall paintings by Jan Toorop and painted glass by A.J. Derkinderen. Since 1988 the Beurs has been home to the Dutch Philharmonic Orchestra. In 1995 the Beurs van Berlage Foundation decided to permanently open the characteristic spaces of the Beurs to the public.