The original bridge was built in 1942 by the US Public Roads Administration as part of the wartime
construction of the Alaska Highway. At the time of its opening it was considered one of the great bridges in
the Dominion of Canada. The bridge was a suspension type bridge. The length of the bridge was 647 m. At
the time of the bridge collapse (October 16, 1957), the highway was part of the Northwest Highway System
under the authority of the Government of Canada and maintained by Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
It cost 60 million dollars to dismantle and replace the damaged bridge with the new (existing) Tied-Arch Bridge which was completed in 1968.