Updated :orientatioin of model.
The two story Old Carnegie Building is not an architecturally "typical" Carnegie. The strong horizontal line of its projecting cornice have led some to note elements of the Prairie style. Described as "rather restrained and sober," its dignified classical detailing sets it apart from its commercial neighbors at the busy northwest corner of South State and Clay streets. It is now in private ownership, its primary occupant a real estate office, with AT&T offices at the side entrance, but its cornerstone plaque is clearly visible, a reminder of the Carnegie gift.
Ukiah women in the 1860's organized a library society, and the Odd Fellows established a library in 1874. Efforts for a free public library began in 1906, and a Carnegie grant of $8000 was received in 1911, followed by public subscription to raise additional money for the lot. John Davis Hatch designed the building, which was built by Frank LaPorte. After a new library was constructed in 1972, the city researched whether it could legally sell a building constructed with Carnegie funds and on property purchased with publicly raised money. It was rented for a time but eventually sold, and currently houses a real estate office.