The church of Saint-Joachim in Châteauguay is striking due to thesimplicity of its layout.
The building of the present edifice began in 1774. This project, however, was to take rather a long time. The 1775 American invasion interrupted the work until 1778. The first façade of the single bell-tower was only built in the seventeen-nineties, and this was then replaced by the existing tower between 1837 and 1840. At the same time the nave was lengthened by eight metres. Once more, the work was halted due to political problems; this time it was the Patriots' revolt which interrupted the work between 1837 and 1838. The building was classed as an historic monument in 1957 because of the high quality of some of the furnishings, and also because of the general age of the construction (Source: Charles Bourget). Contribution photos: Jean Lizotte