The Transfiguration Cathedral is main architectural attraction of the city. Russian Empress Catherine II and Austrian Emperor Joseph II - in 1787 during their travel to the South of the country - laid a foundation stone of the Cathedral that at the same time became the foundation stone of the city. The Cathedral was planned to be the biggest in the world, even bigger than the Cathedral of St. Peter in Rome. The fencing of the Cathedral marks its planned basement. The Cathedral is really big – it has 12 Communion tables and two side-altars – of Great Martyr Catherine and St. Joseph. To accelerate the construction Potemkin brought to Yekaterinoslav 12 Grenadier regiments. Special wood, brick and smith shops were constructed. Potemkin invited the best French architect Leroy, who turned frightened by the sizes of the cathedral and ran away. So, the cathedral in its modern shape was constructed in 1830-1835 by Russian architect Zakharov.