Old Main is located in the heart of the University of Colorado's campus. It was built in 1876, before Colorado was even a state. The architect's name was E.H. Dimick When the University of Colorado opened in 1877, Old Main held the entire university: President Sewall (and housing for his family), three professors, 44 students, and some janitors. Mary Rippon was a teacher at CU during the first year, and thus became one of the first women in America to teach at a state university. Old Main currently holds arts and sciences offices, the CU Heritage Center, and the Old Main Chapel. Model created by Noël Nemcik.