Built in 1853 by William and John Shumway, local carpenters hired from the town of New Lebanon, NY. They built a 30 x 43 foot structure with three stories on the west side and two stories on the side that fronts the road. A cellar under one-half of the building was intended for storing roots. This structure was used by the Sister’s of the North Family village for a number of purposes, including the selling of wares.
This model is best viewed with the Historical Imagery layer set to 2005.
National Park Service documentation for this structure is archived at the Library of Congress: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hh:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28NY0542%29%29/