The Reginald tower originally was a Viking fortification built during the 10th century.
Anglo-Normans attacked Waterford in 1170 the tower was of strategic importance and its capture heralded the fall of the city.
Strongbow, the leader of the Anglo-Norman invasion Married the daughter of Dermot McMurrough, King of Leinster named Aoife. Their marriage was to change the course of Irish history forever. In later centuries the Tower took on the functions of a royal castle.
King John visited the tower in 1210 and ordered new coins to be struck here. Richard II visited the tower in 1394 and again in 1399.
In 1463 the Irish Parliament established a mint in the tower.
In 1690 following his defeat at the Battle of the Boyne, King James II of England is alleged to have climbed to the top of the tower to take a last look at his lost kingdom before embarking for exile in France.
During the 17th and 18th centuries the Tower was used as a store for munitions and in the early 19th century it functioned as a prison. In the late 19th and first half of the twentieth century it became the residence of the Chief Constable of Waterford. The Tower was opened to the public for the first time in the 1950s